by George H. Heilmeier, Director of DARPA ('75—'77), Vice President and CTO of Texas Instruments ('77—'91), President and CEO of Bellcore ('91—'96):
- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What's new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares? If you're successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks and the payoffs?
- How much will it cost? How long will it take?
- What are the midterm and final "exams" to check for success?